Ginny Beagan

I write compelling stories that help publications and organizations engage their audiences and meet their goals.

Four decades of giving and he’s not done yet

He may not have much of an online presence, yet everyone in downtown Fort Pierce seems to know him. From the pair of ladies at the local lunch joint to the baker at Importico’s.

“Well, it’s Howard,” said Benjamin Baumker from behind the counter. “Everyone knows Howard.”

It’s not the one-of-a-kind haircut the second-generation Fort Pierce resident sports, nor is it his unique, lilting, southern accent either.

Howard Dunn is known for helping the kids in St. Lucie County.

Hometown News

Daylight saving time: It’s not plural and it was never about the farmers

Daylight saving time ends on Sunday, Nov. 3 at 2 a.m. — which is the official hour to set all of our clocks back to standard time. But most of us will probably “fall back” before we go to bed Saturday night.

That’s unless you reside in the states of Arizona (except the Navajo Nation) or Hawaii. Or the U.S. territories of American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, which also do not observe daylight saving time.


Stuart’s Rain Cat Recording Studio supports Treasure Coast’s DIY music scene 

There is a street in America’s happiest little seaside town that sees more panel trucks than foot traffic. It’s lined with power lines, delivery doors and trash bins. It runs along the back side of the charming shops and boutiques in downtown Stuart. There is magic happening back there.

Hidden in plain sight, with no signage and its window blacked out, is Rain Cat Recording Studio, where musical creativity thrives and the hopes of dozens of local artists springs eternal.

The Stuart News

Why don’t we tip local musicians? 

Apparently, empty tip jars bother me more than they do the musicians who put them out.

They have thicker skins than I do.

After a night of great live music, of which there is plenty on the Treasure Coast, nine times out of 10, the only bills in the tip jar are the ones strategically placed by the band in hopes of inspiring some generosity.

Treasure Coast Newspapers recently conducted an unscientific poll which revealed what I already knew: Less than 30 percent of music fans leave a tip for the band.

Most of the musicians I spoke to think it’s probably closer to 10 percent.

The Port St. Lucie Tribune

Hello Ginny? It’s Graham Nash calling.

It’s not everyday you get a call from rock ‘n’ roll royalty.

Nash is a two-time Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Songwriter Hall of Fame inductee, a Grammy Award winner and an Officer of the Order of the British Empire.

The legendary artist called last week from his Los Angeles home to chat about his Jan. 30 appearance at The Sunrise Theatre to promote his upcoming album.

One of the first things I asked him about was his rigorous tour schedule, and in terms too colorful to print, the 73-year-old Brit told me he was not “messing” around.

Treasure Coast Newspapers

What does a lightning strike feel like? ‘Like a horse hit you in the back of the head’

Ironic, isn’t it?

The Sunshine State is the lightning capitol of the United States. Florida sees more strikes per square mile than anywhere in the country, according 2021 data from Vaisala, the company that owns the National Lightning Data Network. Only 10 percent of lightning strikes are fatal, according to the NWS Storm Data, which leaves 90 percent of lightning strike victims with various degrees of injuries, disabilities and stories to tell. Here are some of them:

The Cincinnati Enquirer